Japanese food is a firm favorite in my family, especially Sushi!My kids enjoy it as much as we do and its one of our favorite things to eat out.Sushi is a healthy, elegant and flavorful food that has lots of different textures and flavors mixed to tease your taste buds.
Not surprising then, that the moment I spotted a Sushi kit at our local Wholefoods,I had to get it and try making Sushi.It contains a Sushi mat,a set of Nori sheets and a wooden spatula.Very excited I got home and started on my Sushi venture.
It turns out that its so easy to make and can be easily enjoyed in the convenience of your own home!This is the second time I made these and got rave reviews from my visiting friends!
These rolls are all the more appealing since there're vegetarian and I know of some vegetarians who are a little apprehensive about trying Sushi.Believe me once you've tried this you will go out there and explore many other amazing Sushi preparations.
Sushi can be made by using Nori (a green colored seaweed wrapper), vinegared sushi rice and a combination of either vegetables, seafood, or fish with a variety of toppings and sauces that give each sushi its distinctive texture, taste and looks.
Start by placing the Nori on the Sushi mat.Spread the rice about half way through the nori.Arrange the cucumber and avocado slices at the top about 2" from the top of the mat.Start by rolling the mat and pressing the filling as you roll so as to get a nice cylindrical shape.
I've dipped some in black sesame seeds here for a contrast and visual appeal.
Pickled ginger and Wasabi are easily available at your local Grocer's international section.Impress your guests with theses lovely rolls that's so much fun to make and eat!Mine are by no means perfect,but its the sheer joy of just creating something that I've always eaten in a restaurant that matters, I guess!!
Vegetarian Sushi-Cucumber and Avocado Rolls
Print this Recipe
Ingredients:
Sushi Mat
Nori-2 sheets
Sushi Rice-11/2 cups
Sugar-2 tsp
Rice Wine Vinegar-2 tsp
Salt -1 tsp
Cucumber-1/4 sliced
Avocado-1 sliced
Black Sesame Seeds-2-3 tbsp
Pickled Ginger-2 tbsp
Wasabi-1 tsp
Soy Sauce- 4 tbsp
Process:
Cook the rice according to the instructions.Add the suagr, rice wine vinegar and salt.Keep aside.
Place a single Nori sheet on top of the sushi mat.Spread the rice evenly half-way through the nori.Arrange the cucumber and avocado slices at the top end of the rice(about 2" from the top).Start rolling the mat and pressing the filling into the roll.Let go of the mat after the second roll and keep on rolling till you've reached the end.Cut into pieces with a sharp knife.Dip the rolls into the black sesame seeds.Serve with wasabi,pickled ginger and soy.
Not surprising then, that the moment I spotted a Sushi kit at our local Wholefoods,I had to get it and try making Sushi.It contains a Sushi mat,a set of Nori sheets and a wooden spatula.Very excited I got home and started on my Sushi venture.
It turns out that its so easy to make and can be easily enjoyed in the convenience of your own home!This is the second time I made these and got rave reviews from my visiting friends!
These rolls are all the more appealing since there're vegetarian and I know of some vegetarians who are a little apprehensive about trying Sushi.Believe me once you've tried this you will go out there and explore many other amazing Sushi preparations.
Sushi can be made by using Nori (a green colored seaweed wrapper), vinegared sushi rice and a combination of either vegetables, seafood, or fish with a variety of toppings and sauces that give each sushi its distinctive texture, taste and looks.
Once you've got all your required ingredients, you can start the assembly process.
Start by placing the Nori on the Sushi mat.Spread the rice about half way through the nori.Arrange the cucumber and avocado slices at the top about 2" from the top of the mat.Start by rolling the mat and pressing the filling as you roll so as to get a nice cylindrical shape.
Pickled ginger and Wasabi are easily available at your local Grocer's international section.Impress your guests with theses lovely rolls that's so much fun to make and eat!Mine are by no means perfect,but its the sheer joy of just creating something that I've always eaten in a restaurant that matters, I guess!!
Print this Recipe
Ingredients:
Sushi Mat
Nori-2 sheets
Sushi Rice-11/2 cups
Sugar-2 tsp
Rice Wine Vinegar-2 tsp
Salt -1 tsp
Cucumber-1/4 sliced
Avocado-1 sliced
Black Sesame Seeds-2-3 tbsp
Pickled Ginger-2 tbsp
Wasabi-1 tsp
Soy Sauce- 4 tbsp
Process:
Cook the rice according to the instructions.Add the suagr, rice wine vinegar and salt.Keep aside.
Place a single Nori sheet on top of the sushi mat.Spread the rice evenly half-way through the nori.Arrange the cucumber and avocado slices at the top end of the rice(about 2" from the top).Start rolling the mat and pressing the filling into the roll.Let go of the mat after the second roll and keep on rolling till you've reached the end.Cut into pieces with a sharp knife.Dip the rolls into the black sesame seeds.Serve with wasabi,pickled ginger and soy.







Gorgeous! I am so intimidated by sushi making.All the rolling, and I'm just so clumsy... Something's going to end up in the ceiling, for sure!
ReplyDeleteThanks Angela!Going by your recipes I think you'd would do a fantastic job with these as well :)
ReplyDeleteHow fun! They look delightful :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping-by!!
ReplyDeleteI am not a very bog sushi fan but i enjoy it once in a while. The husband on the other hand cannot eat more than one :) I see that you rolled these very nicely.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kankana!I guess its an acquired taste, but we absolutely love it :)
ReplyDeleteI (and my family) adore sushi! We've made it a few times at home and it's fun - cucumber and avocado is a big favorite. Thanks for inspiring me to pull our sushi mat out! Your photos are so appealing and pretty.
ReplyDeleteWhole Foods has sushi making kits? How fun...I'm going to have to look for one! I'm the only sushi eater in the house, but I'd love to have a nice batch just for me!!! Great job~
ReplyDeleteThanks Hannah!Its so much fun isn't it?My kids love it too :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Liz and yes they do sell them!!Its so much fun to make these at home :)
ReplyDeleteOoh love avocado cucumber rolls. haven't made sushi in awhile thanks for the reminder. The rolls look great!
ReplyDeleteThanks Shulie,they did turn out pretty good!
ReplyDeleteI will say yes to these sushi rolls because I have become a vegetarian since of late though I still cook meat for my hubby. Thank you for sharing and will try out soon. Because of the transition to becoming a vegetarian, its plenty of learning to prepare and try out new vegetarian dishes and at times I am really stuck at what to cook for myself at home. Splendid that your recipe came on time for me.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nava!Its also easy and quick :)
ReplyDeleteI love sushi rolls and order them all the time but I've never made them myself. I may just need to follow this recipe and give it a try.
ReplyDeleteThanks Andrea,you cannot go wrong with these :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Elpiniki!Will surely chk out your blog :)
ReplyDeleteThose look so good! I am an absolute disaster at rolling sushi.
ReplyDeleteThanks Cucina!I'm sure you'll do a great job with these :)
ReplyDeleteThat sushi looks beautiful! Great job :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Ruth!
ReplyDeleteI am so thrilled to see vegetarian sushi! My family (who eats meat) is always trying to get me to try it when they order it, but they never get vegetarian sushi. I'll have to try this.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Colleen!I'm glad you like it.Go ahead and give it a try :)
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! Perfect party appetizer.
ReplyDeleteThanks Gourmandelle!I did serve it as an appetizer!
ReplyDeleteI am a vegetarian sushi addict - what a delicious and simple recipe (though I may have to sub for the avocado because that's only tasty in vanilla ice cream :P and guacamole!)
ReplyDeleteThanks!!!
Cheers
Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself
Latest: Two Tone Choc-Blueberry Cheesecake
Thanks!Never had avocado ice-cream!
ReplyDeleteMy daughter was asking me to make sushi rolls. We like it as a light dinner. You have done the vegetarian sushi very nicely.
ReplyDeleteThanks Bal!Yeah it has inspired me to try making other kinds of sushi as well :)
ReplyDelete